Organic Brown Lentils 500g
Organic Whole Brown Lentils 500g
What are Brown Lentils?
Sometimes referred to as continental lentils, these disc shaped pulses retain their shape when cooked. They take longer to cook than split lentils, about 40-45 minutes and are ideal to add to warm salads, casseroles and stuffings. Alternatively green lentils can be cooked and blended with herbs or spices to make a nutritious pate.
No pre-soaking required - just rinse before boiling, then simmer for 30-40 mins, until tender.
Carbohydrate: 44g, of which Sugars: 1g
Country of Origin: Turkey
RECIPE: Spicy Brown Lentil Soup
Serves: 4 Preparation/Cooking: 1 hour 15
150g brown lentils, rinsed.
2 Tbsp Olive Oil or butter
1 large Onion, chopped finely
1 heaped tsp ground Coriander
3 heaped tsp ground Cumin
(or 4 tsp Garam Masala, Curry powder or vary to taste)
2 litres veg stock
2 large carrots, diced
2-3 sticks of Celery, chopped finely
1 medium parsnip, diced
Juice of half a lemon (or more, to taste)
Fresh flat-leaf parsley, or coriander to garnish.
Optional: 50ml Creme Fraiche or Greek yoghurt
- Heat the Oil/Butter and gently fry the Onion for 10 mins until soft but not browned
- Add the Spices and stir while cooking for 1-2 mins
- Add Stock, Lentils and Vegetables
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for 30-40 mins until the Lentils are tender.
- Blend to desired consistency, and add lemon juice.
- Reheat and season to taste.
- Serve garnished with Parsley or Coriander. Add Creme Fraiche or Greek yoghurt if you wish.
We Also Recommend