Starters & Dips
These Vegetarian Starters and Dips are delicious, healthy and versatile - just vary quantities and serve as starters, snacks, mezze, or for picnics and work or school lunchboxes. They are readily adaptable for Vegan and Gluten-free diets where indicated. If you have tried and tested recipes that you'd like to share we would love to hear from you - just give us your feedback.
Our ingredients are GMO-free, ethically sourced and most are Organic.
Vegetarian, Vegan and Gluten-free
- Slice the Aubergines in half, lengthwise, and score the surface with a sharp knife. Prick the skin side with a fork. Brush the flesh side lightly with oil.
- Place the Aubergines, flesh side down, on a baking tray under a medium grill. Grill until the skin is charred and blackened and the flesh is soft. This will take at least 20 minutes.
- Spoon out the flesh when fully cooked, and mash with a fork. If you prefer it smooth, blitz in a food processor.
- Mix the Garlic with the Tahini, Olive OIl and lemon juice and add to the cooked Aubergine.
- Season with Black Pepper and Salt.
- Garnish with Flat Leaf Parsley and/or Mint.
Delicious as a spread on crusty rolls, or as a dip with Breadsticks or Pitta breads.
Vegetarian, Vegan and Gluten-free
Ingredients3-4 Tomatoes, skinned (plunge into just boiled water for 2 minutes first) and finely chopped
1 Avocado, chopped small
1/2 Red Onion, finely chopped
Splash of Organic Balsamic Vinegar
1 small red chilli, deseeded, and very finely chopped (omit if you prefer)
Prepare as indicated and mix to taste. Quantities are approximate.
Place all ingredients in a blender or processor and blitz for 4-5 seconds. Done.
Vegetarian, Vegan and *Gluten-free (*check Tofu and Chilli Sauce ingredients)
- Slice the pepper in half, deseed, and grill until skin is blackened and flesh is soft. Place the pepper halves in a plastic bag and leave for 15 minutes.
- Skin the Pepper, then blitz in a blender or processor with the remaining ingredients for 1 minute. Add 3-4 Tbsps hot water and blitz until smooth. Cover and chill for a few hours to let the flavours develop. Make in advance if possible. Taste and adjust seasoning.
2 large Aubergines, about 750g / 1.5lb
2 Garlic cloves, crushed
3 Tbsp Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Tbsp Organic Light Tahini
juice of half a lemon
3 Tbsp fresh Coriander, chopped
Organic Paprika to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas 6/Fan 180C
- Pierce the aubergines several times with a sharp knife and put in the oven on a baking sheet for about 45 minutes. When they feel soft and the skin is charring take them out and cool for a short time.
- Slice each aubergine in half and scoop out the flesh.
- Add the garlic, olive oil, tahini and lemon juice and blitz in a blender or processor until smooth.
- Stir in the fresh coriander and season with Salt & freshly ground Black pepper.
- Cover and chill until you need it, then sprinkle with Paprika just before serving.
(For Gluten-free, replace wholemeal with GF breadcrumbs)
450g Mushrooms, sliced
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 Red Pepper, seeded and diced
2 Tbsp Vegetable stock (Vegan and Gluten-free available)
2 Tbsp dry White wine
400g can Organic Aduki beans (or red Kidney beans), rinsed and drained
1 free-range egg, beaten
50g/1 cup fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
1 Tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
1 Tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Lettuce and tomatoes to garnish.
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4
- Lightly grease and line a non-stick 900g loaf tin. Put the mushrooms, onion, garlic, red pepper, stock and wine in a saucepan. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Set aside to cool slightly, then purée the mixture with the beans in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl, add the beaten egg, breadcrumbs and herbs and mix thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and level the surface. Bake for 45-60 minutes, until slightly set and browned on top. Place on a wire rack and allow the Pâté to cool completely in the tin. Once cool, cover and refrigerate for several hours. Turn out of the tin and serve in slices, garnished with lettuce and tomato. Delicious also on wholemeal toast.
Serves: 12 Preparation and Cooking time: 1 hour 30 mins
Vegetarian, *Vegan & *Gluten free
(*Check Chilli sauce ingredients, Tamari Soy sauce is available dairy and gluten free)
Ingredients2 large firm ripe avocados
2 Tbsp Organic Extra Virgin Olive oil
1/4 tsp Asafoetida, if available
1 tsp chopped fresh ginger
1 cup/250ml firm Organic Tofu diced into 1.25cm cubes
1 tsp Chinese sesame oil
1 Tbsp Chili sauce (check ingredients for Vegan/Gluten free)
1 Tbsp Tamari Soy sauce (dairy and gluten free)
10g creamed coconut, chopped
1/2 cup cooked green peas
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp Sea salt
1 Tbsp minced fresh coriander leaves
Carefully run a knife from the stem end downwards and right around the avocados. Twist to separate the two halves. Remove the seeds.
Scoop out the avocado flesh leaving a small border all around. Chop the flesh in large rough chunks.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy non-stick wok or large frying pan over medium heat. Add the asafoetida and saute for a few seconds. Add the ginger and saute for 1 minute. Add the tofu and gently stirfry. When the tofu is browned, drizzle on the sesame oil, chili sauce and tamari soy sauce. Fold in the creamed coconut, stirring until it melts.
- Add the peas, lemon juice, salt minced fresh coriander and stir well. Finally add the avocado pieces, stir to mix and remove from the heat.
- place the avocado halves carefully on an oven-proof dish and add the filling. Bake in a preheated oven at 180C/355F for 10 minutes and serve immediately.
Serves: 4. Preparation & Cooking: 45 minutes.