Soup is a wonderful dish, and so healthy when you combine fresh organic vegetables with pulses and grains, and the micronutrients in herbs and spices. These Soup recipes are all Vegetarian, with some ideas to make Vegan and/or Gluten-free versions where we could. If you have tried and tested alternatives we would love to hear from you - just give us your feedback. Our Ingredients are GMO-free, ethically sourced and most are Organic.
Vegetarian, Vegan and Gluten Free
This is a simple nourishing soup for delicate digestions, or recovering from illness.
- Rinse the lentils until the water runs clear, and drain. Soak in cold water for about 30 minutes, then drain again. Red lentils do not require presoaking but this will soften them for more even cooking with the other ingredients.
- Put the Millet, Lentils and Carrots in a pan with 1 litre of water (or low salt Vegetable stock if permitted)
- Cover, bring to the boil, then simmer for 15 minutes or until the lentils and millet are almost soft.
- Add Courgettes and cook for another 5 minutes until tender.
- Season with Sea Salt and pepper.
Serves: 4 Preparation/Cooking: 45 minutes (plus soaking time)Top
Vegetarian, Vegan and *Gluten free
(For Gluten-free, make sure that any pre-mixed spices do not contain any added wheat flour).
Ingredients750g Parsnips, peeled and diced 2.5cm
50g Organic Red lentils, rinsed
2-3 Tbsp Organic Extra Virgin Olive oil
2 medium onions, chopped
2 cloves Garlic, crushed
2 tsp Organic Cumin powder
2 tsp Organic Coriander powder
2 tsp Organic Turmeric
2 tsp Organic Ground Ginger
1.2 litres hot vegetable stock (Vegan Gluten-free stock available)
One medium fresh Apple
- Heat the oil over medium heat
- Add chopped onons and fry gently until softened but not coloured (about 5 mins), then add the Garlic and cook for another minute or so.
- Add all the dry spices (Cumin, Coriander, Turmeric & Ginger) and cook for another 1-2 minutes
- Add Parsnips and Red lentils, and stir fry until well mixed
- Add hot Stock, salt and pepper and bring almost to boil
- Simmer gently for up to an hour
- Blend the soup, then reheat gently and check seasoning.
- When almost ready to serve, peel the apple and grate it into the soup and simmer for another 2 minutes.
Serves: 6 Preparation Time: 1 hour 30 minutesTop
Vegetarian, *Vegan and *Gluten free
(For Vegan, omit creme fraiche. For Gluten-free, make sure that any pre-mixed spices do not contain any added wheat flour).
Ingredients150g whole brown lentils, rinsed.
2 Tbsp Organic extra virgin Olive Oil or butter
1 large Onion, chopped finely
1 heaped tsp ground Coriander and
3 heaped tsp Organic ground Cumin
(or 4 tsp Organic Garam Masala, Organic Curry powder or vary to taste)
2 litres veg stock (Vegan Gluten-free stock available)
2 large carrots, diced
2-3 sticks of Celery, chopped finely
1 medium parsnip, diced
Juice of half a lemon (or more, to taste)
Fresh flat-leaf parsley, or coriander to garnish.
Optional: 50ml Creme Fraiche or Greek yoghurt
- Heat the Oil/Butter and gently fry the Onion for 10 mins until soft but not browned
- Add the Spices and stir while cooking for 1-2 mins
- Add Stock, Lentils and Vegetables
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for 30-40 mins until the Lentils are tender.
- Blend to desired consistency, and add lemon juice.
- Reheat and season to taste.
- Serve garnished with Parsley or Coriander. Add Creme Fraiche or Greek yoghurt if you wish.