Here are some ideas for Breakfast, savoury and sweet, using Wholefood ingredients. These Recipes are suitable for Vegetarians and Vegans. Glutenfree suggestions are made where possible.
Banana Chia Pudding
You can eat it straight away but the texture is nicer if you leave it to set for 30 mins. You can leave it in the fridge overnight.
200g Organic Jumbo Porridge Oats
25g Oat Bran or Wheatgerm
50g Organic Barley Flakes
50g Organic Rye Flakes
50g Organic Hazelnuts lightly crushed
50g Flaked Almonds
25g Pumpkin/Sunflower seeds
50g Organic Desiccated Coconut
50g Organic Sultanas
50g Organic Unsulphured Dried Apricots chopped
50g Organic Dried Figs, chopped
- Preheat oven to 160C/325/Gas 3
- Place the Oats, Bran/Wheatgerm, Barley & Rye Flakes, Hazelnuts, Almonds, Pumpkin/Sunflower seeds on a baking tray & toast in the oven for 10 minutes, shaking the mix half-way through.
- Add the coconut and toast for another 5 mins., then leave to cool.
- Add dried fruit and mix through.
- Stores airtight for up to a month.
This 2:1 mix is ideal to start introducing new grains to your diet, and finding your favourites.
Ingredients (for 2)2/3 Cup of Regular Porridge Oats
1/3 Cup of Barley Flakes, Rye Flakes, Millet Flakes or Rice Flakes
1/2 tsp Organic Cinnamon
Different flakes absorb water and cook at different rates. If you soak them for an hour, or the night before, you will get a more even, creamier finish. Coarser flakes like Barley and Rye will benefit from overnight treatment.
- Combine Oats with your choice of other Flakes. Cover with water and soak as time permits.
- Heat to boiling, then cook 3 minutes, stirring. Presoaked flakes with cook more quickly.
- Serve with chopped dates or apricots and fresh fruit, and top with Plant Milk.
Vegetarian, Vegan (*Gluten free)
*Glutenfree muesli and porridges are available in our Cereals collection
- Grate the fresh Apple into a bowl and pour the Orange juice over.
- Add in Porridge Oats or Muesli and mix.
- Top with chopped Dried fruit and Serve with chopped banana & dates, and serve with soy yogurt or Plant Milk.
Savoury Coconut Millet
Vegetarian, Vegan and *Gluten-Free
(For Gluten free, make sure that any premixed spices do not have added Wheatflour)225g Organic Millet Seeds
1 Tbsp Organic Coconut Oil
1 tsp Organic Cumin seeds
1-2 Green chillies, finely chopped
1 Tbsp Ginger root, grated or finely chopped
1 Medium Onion, finely chopped
¼ Cup Split Green Peas
1 Medium Carrot, finely chopped
1 Cup Organic Desiccated Coconut, or fresh if available
Sea Salt and Black pepper to season.
Soak the Split peas in water overnight.
Put the Millet in a dry pan and toast it for about 4-5 minutes. Then stand back and add 400ml just boiled water, carefully. Bring to the boil and cook for 15-20 minutes. Spread it out on a plate to cool, to retain texture. It is best when freshly cooked.
- Heat the Coconut oil
- Add the following ingredients in order: Cumin Seeds, Green chillies, Ginger, Onion Split peas and Carrot.
- Cook together for 3 or 4 minutes
- Add Cooked Millet and Coconut
- Mix through and season with Sea Salt and freshly ground Black pepper.
Millet Porridge – Original or Sweetened
Vegetarian, *Vegan and Gluten free (*Vegan use your choice of Milk Alternatives)
Use Millet Flakes to make Porridge.
If you like it smooth: Put 1 cup Millet Flakes in a saucepan, cover with boiling water, simmer 5 mins, add Milk or Dairy Alternatives and cook 2-3 mins more. If you prefer more texture, toast the Millet flakes first in a little Coconut oil to keep their shape.